Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2018

SLJ Day 4

Hey guys! This is Day 4 of Summer Learning Journey!

Activity 1
Aotearoa New Zealand is a country of mountains and valleys, dense forests, and sparkling oceans. At the centre of the South Island sits the tallest mountain in the country, Aoraki Mt Cook. It is the place where Sir Edmund Hillary, the first man to reach the top (summit) of Mt Everest, learned how to climb mountains. It was pretty difficult for him, at first, but Sir Edmund Hillary did not give up and, in 1953, he achieved this dream of climbing Mt Everest. His face can now be found on the New Zealand $5 note!
Let’s imagine that you met Sir Edmund Hillary in real life and were able to interview him.

On your blog, post five questions that you would like to ask Sir Edmund Hillary about his life.
1. What would you be doing instead, if you didn't climb Mount Everest? 
2. What was your job before climbing Mount Everest?
3.  Have you climbed other mountains than Mount Everest? 
4. Have you always dreamed about climbing the highest mountain on Earth? 
5. If you were to receive 1 million dollars, what would you do with it? 
Activity 2
Aotearoa New Zealand is home to many spectacular sights and natural wonders. One of these is the Punakaiki Rocks and Blowholes located on the West Coast of the South Island. The Punakaiki rocks attract tourists from all over the world who are keen to see these amazing rock formations. Many people think that they look like pancakes stacked on top of one another. Pancakes are one of my favourite foods! They are delicious and pretty easy to make.
Image result for adobo

For this activity, you are asked to choose one of your favourite foods. On your blog, write the name of your favourite food and then tell us how to make it. You may need to ask a family member, friend or Google (!) for help, if you do not normally make this food for yourself.

Image result for adobo
My favourite food is "Adobo" I like both Chicken and Pork Adobo. It's a very popular dish in the Philippines, but it's even better if you eat it with your family and friends. There are different ways to cook this amazing dish, it can be a sweet or salty dish too, depends on how you want it to taste like. But my mum cooks it in a different and special way, that's why I never get tired of her cooking, she makes everything special. 

Ingredients you will need if you want to make Chicken Adobo (5 servings):

  • 2.5 large potatoes, peeled and sliced into rounds, you can also use pineapples (optional)
  • 0.31 cup soy sauce
  • 1.25 head garlic, peeled and minced
  • 1.25 onion, peeled and sliced thinly
  • 0.63 teaspoon peppercorns
  • 2.5 bay leaves
  • 0.31 cup oil
  • 1.25 whole (3 to 4 pounds) chicken, cut into serving parts
  • 0.63 cup vinegar
  • 1.25 cup water
  • salt and pepper to taste


    Ingredients you will need if you want to make Pork Adobo (5 servings):
    • 2 pounds pork belly, cut into 2-inch cubes
    • 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced thinly
    • 1 head garlic, peeled and minced
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    • 1 tablespoon oil
    • 1 cup vinegar
    • 1/2 cup soy sauce
    • 1 cup water
    Instructions 
    1. In a bowl, combine pork, onions, garlic, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Place in the refrigerator and marinate for about 30 minutes.
    2. In a wide, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add meat mixture and cook, turning occasionally, until pork is lightly browned.
    3. Add vinegar and allow to boil, uncovered and without stirring, for about 3 to 5 minutes. 
    4. Add soy sauce and water and stir to combine. Allow to a boil for another 3 to 5 minutes. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 40 to 50 minutes or until meat is fork-tender and sauce is reduced. Serve hot.
    It will be even better with steamy rice.

    Visit this site to learn more about Filipino Food or if you want a different Filipino Dish: Click

    Activity 3

    Deep in the heart of Bolivia (a country in South America) lies a natural wonder unlike anything else. It is a massive area of salt, over 10 000 km2 large, that is referred to as the Uyuni Salt Flats.
    Tourists who visit the flats often stay in hotels made completely out of salt (salt hotels). This is not the only unique hotel that you will find around the world. In fact, you can stay in hotels made entirely of ice (ice hotels) or glass (glass hotel). Let’s imagine that you were given enough money to build your very own hotel.
    On your blog tell us where you would build your hotel and what you would use to build it. For an extra five points, use Google Drawings to design one room in your hotel. You can also use a paper and pencil to draw your room, take a picture of the drawing, and post it on your blog.
    I would build a Hotel in Manila, Philippines, I would use metal or steel and maybe glass, for the rooms, I want to keep it simple and cosy. I want everyone to be comfortable in my hotel, I want them to feel welcome or maybe my hotel could even be their second home😅😂. My hotel is not that luxurious and fancy.
    "Familia" is what I'm going to be calling my Hotel, familia means "Family" in Spanish, it's also called family in Tagalog (Filipino) but with a different spelling "Pamilya".

    Thank you for reading my blogpost :)





    2 comments:

    1. Tēnā koe i tēnei ahiahi Skyler! (Good afternoon)

      Another fantastic post, well done! :)

      You've come up with some really thoughtful questions. I'd be particularly interested in the answer to the first one.

      Yum! I've never tried adobo before but it looks delicious! Do you help your mum make it? My favourite food is dumplings. I could eat them any time, anywhere! Do you have a favourite sweet food?

      Your hotel looks lovely! I don't know how you did it, but you've made the bed look super comfortable. Why have you decided to build your hotel in Manila? I really like the name you've given it. I didn't know that that was how you say family in Tagalog - thank you for teaching me something new! :)

      Talk soon,

      Mikey

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hey Ms Mikey, yes I help my mum cook it, most of the time, I also do a have a favourite sweet food although I's been years seen I've eaten it, it's called "Halo-Halo", it's a popular cold dessert in the Philippines, especially the ube ice-cream, YUM! Ube is purple yam by the way :), you should try it sometime. I decided to build my hotel in Manila because it's really populated there and it's hot there, I want people to experience something else in my hotel, to feel like home and plus I want to make it cheap so people won't have to use much money. If I have enough money, I would use it to make a shelter for homeless people. Your welcome :)

      ReplyDelete

    Please structure your comments as follows:
    Positive - Something done well
    Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
    Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about