Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

SLJ Day 3

This is day 3 of Summer Learning Journey! I'm so happy because I created a beast! Oops! spoiler alert! If you want to know more, read my blog post :)


Activity 1


In New Zealand, we have many unusual animals. One of the most unusual is the kiwi bird - a bird that does not have wings and can not fly. Pretty strange, eh?! J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, has recently written a new book about strange or unusual animals called ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.’
For this activity, please watch this cool book trailer. Year 7 and Year 8 students in South Auckland, New Zealand helped to make it. Once you have watched the video, use your imagination and create your very own beast. What does your beast look, smell, feel, and sound like?
On your blog, post a description of your beast. Use interesting adjectives (describing words) to tell us about your beast.

Wild Fire

Wild Fire is a beast that I, myself, created using my imagination. This beast has powerful-fast legs, when it's hungry, it'll be worse than you'll ever imagine, when it sees its prey, it will snatch it with its serrated-like claw. You can only see it when the moon has awoken, only people with sharp eyes will see its true figure in the dark. When it's in front of you, you'll notice something, a familiar smell coming from its mouth, something burning. You can run and hide all you want but no one has ever escaped this merciless beast.

What it looks like: A body of a lion with dragon-like wings, a cobra tail that spits acid, legs that's as fast as a cheetah, tiger print on it's back and front, snake eyes, and lastly it's a fire-breathing creature.
What it feels like: It will have a rough lion mane, dry scaly tail and wings, sharp claw.
What it smells like: It will smell like something burning or smoke because it's a fire-breathing beast.
What it sounds like: It will sound like a deep-loud groan.

Activity 2

We have a number of small lizards (geckos and skinks) living in New Zealand. One of the least common is the Chevron Skink. According to the Department of Conservation, Chevron Skinks live mostly on two islands - Great Barrier Island and Little Barrier Island. These islands are ‘animal reserves.’ Very few people, other than staff working for the New Zealand Department of Conservation (DOC), are allowed to live there. The DOC staff are called ‘Rangers.’ Their job is to protect the wildlife (animals and plants) living on the island.
Would you like to be a DOC ranger and live with the animals on Great Barrier Island?
On your blog list three pros (good things) and three cons (bad things) about working as a DOC ranger. At the bottom of your post, tell us whether you would like to be a DOC Ranger or not.

Pros
  • You get to experience how it's like to be in a Great Barrier Island
  • You get to take care of and help the animals and learn a lot about them
  • You teach people about animals and what they need to know
Cons
  • It's your responsibility to look after the animals
  • It can be dangerous
  • You might be sensitive because it requires skinship

I love animals, I would actually want to try being a DOC Ranger to see what it's like, how they help the animals and teach people, how they can make the world a better place :)

Activity 3

In 1961, a number of people came together to start an organisation called the World Wildlife Fund (WWF). The main goal of this organisation was/is to protect life on earth. Hundreds of WWF staff work in countries all over the world trying to protect our planet and the animals who live here. To learn more about their amazing work, click on one of the two video links below.

Clip #2: Tigers

Once you have watched the video, go to your blog and, using full sentences, tell us:

1) The name of the animal the WWF is working to save.
Saimaa Ringed Seal
2) What the WWF is doing to help the animal.
They are building snowbanks to save the endangered seals
3) What, if any, success they have had protecting the animal.

 The endangered seals will be protected and won't go extinct 


Thanks for reading my blogpost :)



7 comments:

  1. Kia ora Skyler!

    My name is Mikey and I'm a member of the Summer Learning Journey team this year. It looks like you've made a great start on the activities, well done!

    Wow! I can tell you've put a lot of thought and effort into both the drawing and description of your beast. You're very good at drawing; is it one of your hobbies? I really enjoyed reading about Wild Fire but I'm glad it's not a really creature; it would be incredibly frightening if you ever ran into it! I like how it's a combination of lots of different animals - what's your favourite animal?

    I think I'd like to be a DOC ranger too. The pros you've come up with make it sound like a great job! One of my friends used to work for DOC and he loved it. He used to tell me great stories about all the things he did and saw. Which animal would you most like to work with?

    Well done for pulling out all of the important information from the video. It sounds like the WWF are doing a great job. Did the video say anything about whether or not they have been successful in protecting the seals?

    Keep up the great blogging Skyler! I can't wait to read your next post :)

    Mikey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mikey :) Thanks for taking the time to comment and read my blogpost, I really appreciate it. Yes, drawing is one of my hobbies, My favourite animals are dolphin, jellyfish and dogs. I would like to work with seals because I want to get to know them more and plus it would be really adorable to work with them. The video didn't say whether or not they have been successful in protecting the seals but I hope that the endangered seals are now safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's my pleasure, Skyler :) I can tell you've put a lot of effort into your post which makes it great fun to read. That's quite a range of animals - what is it about jellyfish that you like?

    That's a great choice. I used to live in Wellington and on my walk to work I would often see baby seals sunbathing on the rocks; it was a lovely way to start the day.

    Hmm.. Well I do hope that they are having some success in boosting the number of Saimaa Ringed Seals. It would be terribly sad to see them become extinct.

    Blog ya later!

    Mikey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know either why I like jellyfishes, it's just that they're beautiful and fascinating, they're also unique in their own way and they're also attractive, I even made a blogpost last year about different types of jellyfish :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Skyler!

    Wow, a whole blog post on jellyfish?! They really must be your favourite. If you don't mind, I'd love to check it out. I don't know very much about jellyfish but whenever I come across them I worry that I might get stung.

    Talk soon,

    Mikey :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mikey, my blogpost is called "Watch Out! Princess Jellyfish" and if you're wondering why I called it Princess Jellyfish is because there's this manga that's called Princess Jellyfish, she is a a person who loves jellyfish, they also made it into an anime and a movie and I really loved the manga, anime and movie of it that's why I named it that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talofa lava Skyler,

      Wow! I didn't realise there were so many different kinds of jellyfish! (I just read your 'Watch Out! Princess Jellyfish' post). The Flower Hat jellyfish and the Cauliflower jellyfish are my favourite - they look so cool! The Crystal one reminds me of the jellyfish Dory and Marlin race through in Finding Nemo! Which one is your favourite?

      Bye for now,

      Mikey :)

      Delete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about