Pages

Monday, March 8, 2021

Parihaka - Social Studies

 After learning about the slave trade triangle, we simultaneously moved on to our next topic which is "Parihaka", a treaty in New Zealand, and it's extensional work which is the "Salt March" occurred in India with Martin Luther King Jr's participation. 

What is the Parihaka treaty about? Parihaka was established as a sanctuary, a safe and peaceful place to live for the Maoris. Parihaka was a symbol of peace because it provides resistance from confiscation of the Maori land.

My map link: https://www.google.co.nz/maps/d/edit?mid=13HfN6O8qDhpkiAJ5l_u_X3DcTHeVgwkr&usp=sharing


Lyrics: 

My friend, My friend, I hate to see you suffer,

Events conspire to bring us to our knees,

My friend, my friend, you've taken this the wrong way, 

Rise up, defend yourself, never give in,

Look to the sky, the spirit of Te Whiti,

The endless tide is murmuring his name. 


I know Te Whiti will never be defeated,

And even at the darkest hour,

His presence will remain.

I'll sing to you the song of Parihaka.


Te Whiti he used the language of the spirit,

Then stood accused, the madman and his dream,

He saw the train go roaring through the tunnel,

He heard the voice travel on the magic wire,

But he loved the silence of the river,

He watched the dog piss on the cannon's wheel.


I know Te Whiti will never be defeated,

And even at the darkest hour,

His presence will remain.

I'll sing to you the song of Parihaka.


One day you'll know the truth,

They can't pull out the roots,

Come and take me home,

To weep for my lost brother.

They gather still, the clouds of Taranaki,

His children's children wearing the white plume,

So take me for the sins of these sad islands,

The wave still breaks on the rock of Rouhotu.

And when you taste the salt that's on your pudding,

And when you taste the sugar in your soup,

Think of Te Whiti, he'll never be defeated,

Even at the darkest hour,

His presence will remain,

I'll sing for you the song of Parihaka,

Come to Parihaka,

Weep for my lost brother,

The spirit of nonviolence,

Has come to fill the silence, Come to Parihaka.


Questions

What is the main message of this song? This song is about encouraging people to stand up against the unfair treatment of the people; To use their voices to influence others and spread awareness. 

What line explains their passive resistance method?  "I know Te Whiti will never be defeated, And even at the darkest hour, His presence will remain. I'll sing to you the song of Parihaka."

What does 'You can't pull out the roots' refer to? In my opinion, I think it means that you can take the man out of the hood, but you can't take the hood off the man. Which refers to you can't take away where a person came from and their culture and beliefs. As well as British people can't pull or can't take the Maori land from them.

Give evidence of their determination... "I know Te Whiti will never be defeated, And even at the darkest hour,His presence will remain.I'll sing to you the song of Parihaka."

How does this song show the significance of Parihaka? It shows significance by giving a message of what happened in the past and how they overcame it with their faith, hope, beliefs, working together and perseverance. 

What makes an event significant? What makes one event significant is the impact they were able to make and its long-lasting change for the better such as enhancement, development and improvement.

How many people were affected? about 1,600 troops were affected as well as Te Whiti and Tohu were arrested. 

How long were people affected? The people were affected for about a hundred and sixteen plus.

To what extent were people affected? People involved in Parihaka were evicted from their homes, some were arrested, women were also raped during the invasion.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Skyler, your blogpost is very understandable and interesting. I like how you use some of the lyrics and phrases from the song to show that you know what is the purpose of it. Also, I like how you use different fonts on your blogpost, it makes it more eye catching for readers and makes it look interesting to read. Your work is great! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Skyler, Your post is full of information which is all very understandable. I like how you've explained the task in deft and put the song lyrics. You've done a really good blog post that is enjoyable to read, well done

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about